Ebonee Spears

Ebonee Spears, Smiling. She went missing in January 2016.

Spears was last seen near her home at Taylor Home Estates in the 1300 block of Brooklyn Lane in Wilmington, North Carolina at 10:45 p.m. on January 15, 2016. Earlier that evening she went to the Wilmington Police Department station in the 600 block of Bess Street, several blocks from her home and asked to use the phone. She was acting strangely and appeared to be disoriented. She was directed to the pay phone in the lobby and was unable to operate it. She paced back and forth between the front desk and the phone for about ten minutes, then left.

The night before her disappearance, Spears’s parents had met her in the parking lot of the police station. They’d wanted the police to commit her to the hospital for psychiatric treatment. Paramedics were called to the parking lot, but they left without taking Spears to the hospital. Within about an hour, Spears was acting lucid again and her parents allowed her to come home. The next day, she had breakfast at her parents’ home on Prices Lane, and later her father took her to her own home. She was supposed to drive herself back to her parents’ house for dinner, but at 7:00 p.m., Spears called her mother and said she had eaten and was going to stay at home.

This was the last call Spears made on her cellular phone. Between 7:00 and 8:00 p.m., she flagged down a van driven by an employee of the Community Boys & Girls Club on Nixon Street, within blocks of the police headquarters. Spears was acting paranoid, as if she believed someone was following her. Shew as driven to the club and spoke to a social worker there, then left and went to the police station. At 10:45 p.m., she approached her neighbor and asked for a cigarette. He wouldn’t give her one, and she said she was going to walk to a nearby store.

The neighbor is the last person known to have seen Spears. At 11:00 p.m., her boyfriend let himself into her apartment. Her vehicle was parked outside and her purse was in the apartment, but her cellular phone was missing, and when he called it, the call went straight to voice mail. Spears’s boyfriend waited two hours for her to come home, then called her parents. The next afternoon, her parents reported her disappearance to police.

It’s uncharacteristic of Spears to leave without warning; she’s described as a reliable person and a devoted mother to her daughter. Due to her medical condition, she’s believed to be at risk. Her case remains unsolved.

Courtesy of Charley Project

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *